Friday 18 January 2019

Assemble The Men: Test Mini & First Character


As you read previously, I had found my theme: Friedrich, the Fox Lord, has chosen a life of virtual exile. His lair lies in a forgotten patch of the Great Forest, known as Vergessenwald, in the far north of Talabecland, near the border with Kislev. There, he is assembling a growing warband of mavericks, miscreants, and sell-swords. Each man has, for his own personal reasons, chosen a life of war and opportunism, far from the great merchant cities of the Empire.

So what next? Some like to finesse their army lists. I’m much more impulsive and decided to dive straight in with a test model. The roster can wait for another day.

The first on the field

If you’re starting out in the hobby, it’s tempting to want to paint up a whole unit in one go. Resist the temptation! Take a bit of time to try out your colour scheme; it will save you a deal of inconvenience if you’re not happy with the result (repainting a whole regiment is about as disheartening as the hobby can get).

Looks familiar?
The men of Talabecland wear quartered yellow and red clothes in the “puff and slash” style - shamelessly pinched from the Landsknecht. Though Friedrich’s men are outcasts and fugitives, they are proud men and retain their province’s colours. Besides, if you are on the run, you’re not going to blow precious money on new clothes, when it could be spent of drink and tavern wenches instead!
The colours of Talabecland from the 5th edition army book
In my first post, I confessed how much I used to struggle with yellow. This made a test mini more crucial than ever. After 3 attempts, I managed to get something which vaguely resembled a smooth yellow finish. It's worth pointing out that - with the exception of grey and silver - I work all my colours up from a base coat of brown. This may seem like a slightly odd choice, but the reason is a simple one: I love rich and earthy colours. My colour palette is also pretty limited. This forces me to mix colours and helps give the army a united tone.


Yet even once my third attempt was completed, I wasn't entirely satisfied. I had a go at painting the contrasting colours in the slash. It took away a bit of the depth, as it means filling in the recesses, but bring a splash of additional colour. Should I stick with it? I decided to put it to the vote on Instagram.

A resounding 88% chose the contrasting colours. Thanks, guys; you've added countless hours of painting to the army! To be fair, it does look better. 

I'm still not 100% satisfied with the yellow, though. At some point soon, it will need revisiting. Nonetheless, as I had my scheme sorted, it was time to get stuck in!

“He’s a bit of a character…”

One cool thing when coming back to the Old World after a decade away is that you discover loads of bits and pieces which you forgot you had. When I originally intended to get back into it, I had bought the (then new) General of the Empire box. It came with really generous sprues which had torsos and legs for 1 mounted character and 1 on foot. I had assembled the mounted one (and will resurrect him as Friedrich the Fox Lord himself), but the foot one was still on the sprue – with loads of weapon variants and accessories!

The Empire General box - a lovely little set, full of useful spares!
The Old World of Warhammer is full of characters, who each bring… character to the game! It was time to introduce the first character to my force.

As I hadn’t worked out an army list, I decided to cobble him together however took my fancy. Friedrich’s crew being a rag-tag bunch, I wanted a feral-looking character. One of the heads was bald, with a great big bushy beard – perfect! Add to that a couple of spare bottles from my bitz box and a ridiculously over-sized Warhammer, and I had a suitable character. All he needed was a fox-fur cap to emphasise with the - you guessed it - theme.

Spare bits and a little Green Stuff can make quite a change
I searched through my list of Germanic first names and settled on Maximilian. Why? Because I love alliterations and knew this man looked mad. Thus was born ‘Mad Max’ Maximilian, Keeper of the Gate.


‘Mad Max’ stands (or rather slouches against a barrel) watch at the gate during the night, challenging all who venture near for the password. Unfortunately, old Max is a bit too fond of Kislevite vodka and makes up the password for each new visitor. Many a man from Friedrich’s company has had to spend the night sleeping in the cold and perilous woods outside, having failed to talk sense with Max.    
The garrison so far
The first spearman
Now, time to settle down for a weekend of hobbying!

No comments:

Post a Comment